Tuesday, January 18, 2005
Publishing Your First Research PDF eBook: Best Lessons Learned
The new PDF e-book about the theory, use and application of RSS to marketing and publishing is out today. With over 500 pages of rich content and several months of background research, experimentation and interviews with some of the most interesting RSS-thinkers, this is likely to be a tome in which every online publisher can find something useful that applies to his or her company.
But what I was interested in the most, as I received from Rok the latest and final PDF version of "Unleash the Marketing and Publishing Power of RSS", was to find out straight from the author what it really took to put together such a major e-book.
The goal I set out for myself was to extract as much practical information as possible about how one should go about publishing his first commercial PDF e-book. For the growing number of passionate bloggers, news reporters and online entrepreneurs this is a topic of high interest, as it can often be one of the multiple initial start-up channels one can use to create premium content and to start rolling-in some tangible reward for it.
So, just before midnight, I met Rok Hrastnik online and got him into my private conferencing room ready to congratulate him for the launch of his ebook baby and to ask some good questions about what he had actually learned and discovered during this publishing adventure.
Here is what I asked him:
- What did you learn about RSS that you didn't know about it before starting this ebook?
- What has stood out so far as having been the greatest return for having brought this ebook to a completion?
- How long did it take?
- What tools did you use?
- What issues and problems did you have with them?
- What steps did you take to go through all the preparation and writing work?
- If you could go back, what would you do differently?
- What advice would you give to other independent online publishers who wanted to follow your tracks and publish their own PDF ebook?
- How are you going to market it?
- How are you going to extend the release of the book into an ongoing time- expanded event?
Here is what Rok had to say about them:
Audio recording of this Good conversation (20'):
Zipped .MP3 4.2 MB
.WMA Windows Media 2.9 MB
RG, I bought the book today and have already speed-red about half of it. I've already recommended it on my blog as well.
Great stuff and I compliment Rok and all of the interviewed contributors.
One critical point. Waaayyyy too many spelling errors. Inexcusable. Spellcheck is your friend!