New Media Picks Of The Week: Sharewood Picnic 61
Photo credit: Jimmires
- Social media network that enables musicians and video artists to sell their music and videos
- Earn money from your website or blog, by selling books, DVDs, and CDs that you personally select
- Web-based service that enables you to create your personal online portfolio
- Upload files and either share them with a private group of people, or make them available for public
- Turn your Gmail account into a portable virtual hard drive that you can access from anywhere
- Firefox add-on displays useful market research data right into Google's and Yahoo!'s search results
- 3D note-taking tool to organize your information by making lists that are stored in 3D
- Save your bookmarks, notes or account passwords online in either a shared or private form
- Online video community that enables you to share, rate and download your favorite videos
- Mozilla Firefox extension that lets you chat with other users visiting the same site
- Search engine that combines technologies of social networking, popular search engines and other data sources
- Search for RSS feeds across the Internet by entering tags
- Create color schemes for your digital artwork and your web site
The Sharewood Picnic is the weekly collection of the most interesting new media tools and resources discovered by Robin Good and his team during their online explorations.
Here are the 13 hand-picked new media delicacies that we have selected this week:
Panjea is a social media network that enables musicians and video artists to sell their music and videos. Artists can sell their works through the Panjea Store and, thanks to the Panjea Adshare program, they make money when people download their music and videos by getting 100% of all ad revenue. Simple users can earn points just by participating in Panjea and redeem music and videos for free. Panjea is completely free.
MeCommerce is a service that provides a way to earn money from your website or blog, by selling books, DVDs, and CDs that you personally select. You'll earn 50% of the proceeds above the cost of sold products. It is important to note that you decide exactly what kind of books and music you want to sell on your site; you even decide what colors to use in the product window to match and feel like a part of your website. Free sign up.
Carbonmade is a web-based service that enables you to create your personal online portfolio. Once you have created your profile page, you can order your images, videos and projects any way you like with drag and drop functionality. You can add a Google Analytics code to your portfolio to monitor traffic and also tag your portfolio and share your work with the community at Carbonmade. Your project listing are available via XML. Carbonmade is optimized for Firefox, Safari, and Internet Explorer 6. Free to use.
XmailHardDrive is a service that directly connects with your Gmail account and turns it into a portable virtual hard drive that you can access from anywhere in the world. You simply enter your Gmail username and password and XmailHardDrive connects you to your personal account, allowing the user to be able to upload files to his Gmail account. The file is uploaded as an e-mail attachment in the Gmail inbox; however, the file is encrypted and compressed, which enables the user to store more files since it is compressed. The file is then saved as an .xmhd file which can be decompressed and re-downloaded through XmailHardDrive.com. Additionally, with the FlingIt feature the user can send the file they just uploaded to a friend that has a Gmail account. Currently the max file upload size is 20MB. Free to use.
- SEO for Firefox
SEO for Firefox is an add-on that displays useful market research data right into Google's and Yahoo!'s search results. Some featured data that appear near each search result are:
- PR: (Google PageRank) an estimated measure of global link authority
- Links: (Yahoo! linkdomain) shows a rough estimate of the total number of links pointing at a domain
- del.icio.us: number of times a URL has been bookmarked on Del.icio.us
- Technorati: an estimate of the total number of links to a site from blogs
- Alexa: rank based on website traffic . Heavily skewed toward internet marketing and webmaster related resources
SEO for Firefox requires installation and Mozilla Firefox. Free download.
Nelements is a 3D note-taking tool to organize your information by making lists that are stored in 3D. Nelements is constructed in such a way that allows intuitive usage of the system that utilizes the Roman Room technique to take the user around specified template scenes to make the elements of knowledge memorable. The free version of Nelements only allows a maximum of 31 items in any of it's lists. With the full version of Nelements, you can get 47 Nelements in a list upto an unlimited number of upcoming upgrades in Nelements list capacity for free. Nelements requires Microsoft .NET Framework 1, Microsoft DirectX 9.0c and graphics hardware capable of displaying Direct3D Graphics
HiveLive is a service allowing you to save your bookmarks, notes or account passwords online in either a shared or private form. You can setup multiple "Hives" each with their own permissions and users. In a "hive" you can create different posts with their own types from contacts to bookmarks to reviews. Each post type has a pre-defined set of fields to fill in, with the ability to add additional fields as necessary. Once posted (and assuming it's in a public "hive"), people can comment on it. HiveLive is currently available by invitation only. Free to use.
Metacafe is an online video community that enables you to share, rate and download your favorite videos. You can also embed videos on the most popular blogging services, such as MySpace, Blogger, Xanga and Friendster. In order to download videos, you need to install a free Metacafe application on your computer (Windows only). Free to use.
Yakalike is a Mozilla Firefox extension that lets you chat with other users visiting the same site. You are enabled to "stay on current channel" by checking the checkbox on the top border of the Yakalike extension. This prevents Yakalike from reloading itself with a new channel whenever the URL in your browser changes. For example: you are able to surf sites like digg.com, read posted stories, but still stay in the digg.com channel. Yakalike is free to use and requires installation and Firefox.
mnemomap is a search engine that combines technologies of social networking, search engines and other data sources to help you formulate search queries and find relevant information. mnemomap provides alternative or additional search parameters on-the-fly, such as tags, translations and many other data sources. Once you enter your query, mnemomap searches within mnemomaps'database, Yahoo!, Flickr and YouTube. Free to use.
Octora is a search engine that allows you to find RSS feeds in the Internet. You simply need to enter a tag and Octora will automatically display all the items related. Users are encouraged to submit RSS feeds in order to enrich Octora's database. This service is free to use.
Colr is a service that enables you to create color schemes for your digital artwork and your web site. You can also load pictures you like and get color codes and schemes from them. Users create their own color schemes and tag them, so that other people can search them by tags. Free to use.
blog comments powered by Disqus